Theft is something a jewelry store owner must worry about daily. In 2020, jewelry store theft resulted in over $83 million worth of inventory loss. Like banks and other industries with high-value inventory, jewelry stores face a much greater risk of attracting criminals.
Having the right security measures in place is essential to protecting your inventory and property. Avoid devastating loss and increase your jewelry store security with proper protection and equipment.
Protection During the Day
Jewelry stores experience a lot of foot traffic during the day, which can make it difficult to keep tabs on inventory and the people coming in and out of the store. Here are a few ways you can avoid daytime theft:
- Install doorbell chimes or buzzer systems so employees are aware when someone enters or leaves.
- Depending on store size, have at least two to three employees on the floor at all times. You can also hire security guards to monitor the floor during the day.
- Greet customers as they enter the store. It makes them feel welcomed and allows you to know who is in the store.
- Install video surveillance cameras at point of sale (POS), doorways, entrances, and near safes and/or vaults.
- Always lock showcases when not in use.
- Never place high-valued items near doorways, windows, or exits.
Key Security Measures at Night
Protecting your jewelry store is an around-the-clock affair. Most retail burglaries happen at night, which means you need to happen the proper security measures in place to keep your jewelry store secure. Here’s how you can keep it protected after hours:
- Remove all jewelry from window displays before locking up for the night.
- Place all jewelry items in a safe, vault, or password/passcode-protected room.
- Always lock up windows and doors before the last individual leaves.
- Set up alerts on your smartphone, tablet, and/or desktop to receive security notifications when triggered.
- Don’t cover showcases, as it gives burglars the impression there are valuable items inside.
- Ensure security equipment is on and working properly before leaving (e.g. monitored alarms, surveillance cameras, image sensors).
Additional Jewelry Store Security Practices
Here are a few more general precautions you could employ at your jewelry store to reduce the risk of theft and keep your employees protected:
- Be conscious of busier seasons, such as Valentine’s Day or Christmas, in case you need extra personnel or equipment to keep tabs on inventory.
- Check employees’ bags when they arrive and before they leave your business.
- Invest in burglary-resistant laminated glass for jewelry cases and store windows.
- Conduct in-depth interviews and background checks on new employees
- Know which vendors and employees have building, safe, and display access.
- Place glass-break detectors near windows, displays, and showcases.
- Train employees on the necessary security precautions for daytime and before they leave for the night.
Invest in a Jewelry Store Security System
A security system is one of the best ways retailers can protect their business. For jewelry stores, in particular, there are a lot of valuables that criminals target. But with a security system, you can have eyes on your store at all times and instantaneously contact authorities if a crime occurs.
At the end of the day, partnering with a security provider you can trust to protect your store is always a good investment. Calgary Equity Security has over 10 years of experience designing and installing security systems for our business partners in and across Calgary. If you would like to learn more about our security solutions and how we can better protect your business, feel free to contact us today.